If your school or place of employment has issued you a DS-2019 form, you are eligible for an Ellis Money bank account! Follow the steps below to use your DS-2019 form to open a US-based bank account with Ellis.
You can apply for a bank account before you receive your J-1 visa!
1. To get started with Ellis Money, tap 'Start Application' under Money.
2. Enter your phone number.
This should be the number that you are currently using to receive texts. It does not have to be a US phone number.
You should receive a text with a 6-digit code to the provided phone number. Enter the code.
3. Enter your date of birth, as shown on your passport.
The U.S Government will require you to confirm your identity to create a U.S bank account and receive a debit card. Your date of birth must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY format.
4. Enter the passport number of the passport you used to apply for your visa.
If you already have a Social Security Number, select 'I have a Social Security Number'.
5. Enter your nationality. This is the country that issued your passport.
6. Select 'I am not a student'
7. Enter the address listed under 'Primary Site of Activity' on your DS-2019 form in the respective fields.
Using the sample DS-2019 form, the entered fields will be as follows:
Street Address: 9650 Main St.
Zip code: 22031
8. Confirm that the information you entered is correct.
9. Upload images of your passport and address verification documents.
When taking a photo of your passport, we recommend that you use your phone camera and leave your image uncropped. Identifying information must be legible. Please do not upload PDF scans of your passport.
Upload a copy of your DS-2019 form under the 'Address Verification' tab.
10. Deposit money into your account and start spending with your virtual Ellis debit card instantly.
To order your physical card to your U.S. address, tap 'Get Card'. For all the ways to deposit money into your Ellis account, click here.